A few interesting facts for the weekend! You learn something new every day .
1. Your tongue is the only muscle in your body that is attached only at one end.
2. In an average adult, the heart beats ~100,000 times per day.
3. The cornea does not have blood vessels to supply it with nutrients. It receives nourishment through diffusion from tear fluid on the outside surface and aqueous humour from the chamber behind it (inside surface).
4. The human nervous system can relay messages to the brain at speeds of up to 200 miles per hour.
5. Each muscle fibre is thinner than a human hair and can support up to 1000 times its own weight.
6. If you are 11kg overweight, you have almost 5000 extra miles of blood vessels through which your heart must pump blood.
7. The average person walks 70,000 miles in their lifetime.
8. The human body contains 45 miles worth of nerves.
9. We have the same number of hairs on our body as a chimpanzee; our hairs are just finer and useless at keeping us warm.
10. The brain itself may be the signalling centre for feeling pain throughout our body, but it cannot feel pain itself.