Now if we aren’t bad mouthing carbs, the rest of the population are bad mouthing fats. Fats still get a bad rap and many still think that in order to lose weight they must go ‘low fat’. Now as I always say everyone’s dietary needs are individual to them and their current goals but fats should never be kept too low or removed as they provide so many health benefits.
What makes fats so great?
- Fats can be a great tool when it comes to improving your body composition- by decreasing your carb intake and increasing your fat intake you can help improve your insulin sensitivity.
- Omega 3 fats help to support your thyroid hormone which helps to regulate your metabolism and a healthy metabolism is key when you are trying to maintain a lean physique.
- Fat is filling. This is great especially when you’re dieting! Medium chain fatty acids such as coconut oil are great for curbing hunger and many use it as a pre-workout energy source whilst going low carb.
- As fats help to improve overall hormone health this can help when you are trying to put on muscle. A higher fat diet, whilst bringing your carbs down can help top elevate growth hormone.
- A healthy level of fat in your diet is also good for your mood and brain function. The brain is mainly made up of fat and cholesterol and there have been studies to show that when restricting fats this can lead to a lower level of serotonin (the ‘happy’ hormone)
- Strong bones- most of you will know how important fats are when it comes to keeping your bones nice and healthy. Fats are involved in calcium metabolism and vitamin K2 and D are both involved in helping build bone and these are both fat soluble vitamins.
Here are some good examples of fat sources to try:
Here’s one of my favourite high fat, low carb recipes for you to try (more of these can be found on my Instagram page @fitfergo)
Chocolate mint avocado truffles
- 125g of dark chocolate (or use chocolate chips)
- 1 Avocado
- 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract
- Cocoa/ Cacao powder
- Add the peppermint essence to the chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave
- Mash up an avocado
- Stir the chocolate and avocado together
- Place into fridge until it sets slightly
- Roll into balls and dip in cocoa or cacao powder
- Place back into the fridge to set fully