The Olympic Diet >>> 2500 Calories

Dieting like an Olympian is as challenging as the training itself. Not only is it as challenging as training, it holds as much and if not more importance. You can’t train 5 hours a day, 6 days a week like many Olympic swimmers without the correct fuel in your system. This is why many leading nutrition experts state 80% of your training needs are centred on your diet, whilst the remaining 20% is your training. Granted you won’t be an Olympic athlete through just eating like a champ, but in order to maximise your training, your diet had better be up to scratch!

Like Olympic athletes, bodybuilders such as Jay Cutler (considered one of the finest bodybuilders of all time) have to be meticulous with their diet. Jay consumes between 4000-7000 calories per day, and apparently consumes in excess of 140 egg whites in one day! These are extremes in dieting which are designed to accommodate extremes in training, and are therefore stringently monitored by Dietitian’s and Nutritionists.

Ok, most of you reading this article will not be Olympic athletes or elite bodybuilders, and will not be training anywhere near 5 hours per day, so we have tailored a training friendly diet for the average 80kg male to get you started, and offered means for progression at the end of this article:

Calories: 2500kcal

Protein: 210g

Carbohydrate: 300g

This protein and calorie dense, low fat diet is ideal for developing solid lean muscle mass:

Breakfast

2x scoops Whey protein shake with 200ml semi-skimmed milk (340kcal; 57g Protein; 10-15g Carbs)

45g porridge oats with 350ml semi-skimmed milk (320kcal; 16.5g Protein; 42g Carbs)

1x Banana (89kcal; 22g Carbs)

Mid-Morning

1x Apple (46kcal; 11g Carbs)

2x Tangerines (50kcal; 10g Carbs)

30g Almonds (183kcal; 7g Protein; 7g Carbs)

Lunch

160g boiled chicken breast in 300ml made up chicken stock (146kcal; 32g Protein)

350g (1-1.5 cups) mashed sweet potato (300kcal; 4g Protein; 69g Carbs)

100g Mixed vegetables (40kcal; 2g Protein; 6g Carbs)

Mid-Afternoon

1x scoop whey protein 200ml semi-skimmed milk (160kcal; 30g Protein; 5g Carbs)

Add 30g porridge oats (150kcal; 6g Protein; 30g Carbs)

Add 200g natural yoghurt and mix with hand blender (120kcal; 10g Protein; 14g Carbs)

Evening

1x tin tuna in brine (140kcal; 34g Protein)

80g cooked wholemeal pasta (285kcal; 10g Protein; 59g Carbs)

Iceberg Lettuce (4-5 leafs) (10kcal)

30ml Cider Vinegar

Black Pepper

Mid-Evening

2x rice cakes (60kcal; 1g Protein; 12g Carbs)

75g cottage cheese (50kcal; 8g Protein; 3g Carbs)

Black pepper

Additional Quality Calories and Protein

If you have a lot of lean muscle mass and therefore weigh more than 80kg, you can bolster the calories and protein content of the above diet by adding variations of one or more of the following:

- Casein protein shake with 200ml semi-skimmed milk approx an hour before bed (150kcal; 40g protein)

- 2x Poached eggs on 2x granary toast (350kcal; 15g Protein; 30g Carbs)

- 2x Rice cakes and 15-20g almond/peanut/cashew/pistacio butter (180kcal; 5g Protein; 13g Carbs)

If 2500kcal is too low for you, see our 3500kcal diet instead!

About the Author

Job Role Qualified Dietitian and Sports Nutritionist Qualifications BSc (Hons) Sports Science | BSc (Hons) Dietetics Tom has always participated in sport both recreationally and competitively which led to an unquenchable thirst for information on anything health, nutrition and fitness. After leaving school Tom went on to play for a football academy during which time he studied Sport and Exercise Science. From here he went on to study a BSc (Hons) Sport Science at UEA followed by his second BSc (Hons) degree, this time at the University of Hertfordshire studying Dietetics. Tom has worked in the fitness, educational and clinical nutrition industry starting out at David Lloyd Health and Leisure Clubs. He then went on to work as a Dietitian (RD) in the NHS, during which time he conducted clinics for healthy eating, weight loss and weight gain, as well as specialised consultations on Diabetes, IBS and Coeliac disease to name a few. He has vast amounts of experience at devising diet plans and supplement regimens, as well as working in the community with schools and competitive athletes. As Head Nutritionist and Supplement expert at Discount Supplements Tom is here to provide current and evidence based health and nutrition information to help you reach your health and fitness goals!
Post a Comment

Please wait...